Bureau Of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
The Government of India set up Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE). on 1st March 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001. The mission of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency is to assist in developing policies and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles, within the overall framework of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 with the primary objective of reducing energy intensity of the Indian economy.
The Vision of Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE): To improve Energy Intensity of Indian Economy thereby contributing towards sustainable development of country.
The Mission of BEE is to develop policy and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles, within the overall framework of the Energy Conservation Act (EC Act), 2001 with the primary objective of reducing energy intensity of the Indian economy. This will be achieved with active participation of all stakeholders, resulting in accelerated and sustained adoption of energy efficiency in all sectors.
The primary objective of BEE is to reduce energy intensity in the Indian economy. In order to translate the objectives into result-oriented action, the broad strategies of BEE include:
- To develop policies and programmes on efficient use of energy and its conservation with the involvement of stakeholders.
- To plan, manage and implement energy conservation programmes as envisaged in the EC Act.
- To assume leadership and provide policy framework and direction to national energy efficiency and conservation efforts and programmes.
- To demonstrate energy efficiency delivery mechanisms, as envisaged in the EC Act, through Private-Public Partnership (PPP).
- To establish systems and procedures to measure, monitor and verify energy efficiency results in individual sectors as well as at the national level.
- To leverage multi-lateral, bi-lateral and private sector support in implementation of programmes and projects on efficient use of energy and its conservation.
- To promote awareness of energy savings and energy conservation.